- Turun Sanomat is a media client from Southwest Finland, with the main product being the printed 7-day newspaper, Turun Sanomat, with 204 000 daily readers and average distrubution 97 289. Turun Sanomat is a multichannel media, and has in addition to the printed newspaper, also website, mobile and tablet optimized digital publications.
- Turun Sanomat faces similar challenge as majority of the printed newspapers globally: achieving and measuring advertising effectiveness not only in the printed paper but also among digital audience of website, mobile and tablet users.
- The print media-website panel of Turun Sanomat was recently converted to multi-panel, including mobile and tablet optimized channels and panels, in addition to the printed newspaper and website content user panels. After the conversion, the panelists were asked about their usage of the new channels in order to bring the panelists’ cross-media usage up to date.
- The survey measurements can still be sent to individual panels (eg. the readers od the printed newspaper or website users). However, in case the objective is to achieve sharper and integrated campaign measurement results, it is possbile to measure readership, ad recall, brand engagement, awareness and call to action metrics across all of the media platforms’ panels to find out differences among different demographic and user segments of media platforms (young, middlle-aged, primary print users, mobile users etc.).
- Example: Sports equipment and clothing chain executed a multi-channel campaign and chose Turun Sanomat printed newspaper, website and mobile media platfroms. Turun Sanomat utilized the multi-panel, provided by RAM, for campaign measurement across all three channels.
- The results of RAM survey were collected from 410 panelists. The results showed that the print media still has an important role in the campaign as a whole and the ad recall metrics for print were high.
- Ad engagement was higher among website and mobile audience.
- Call to action was almost double among mobile audience.
- Thus, based on the results, digital and mobile platforms have an important role as supporting medias in the campaign based on the positive results increasing campaign effectiveness and increasing the call to action results in the target group. The results confirmed the client’s understanding of multi-channel campaign effectiveness.